Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The long awaited return!

Hey everybody!!! I do apologize for the delay in posts!! For those of you that haven't been keeping up with my Facebook, I am now a flight attendant flying for Atlantic Southeast Airlines, who is now merging with Expressjet, and we do regional carrying for Delta, United, and Continental.

I'm doing decent right now, just trying to get whatever hours I can, but the lonliness of it all is starting to get to me. Especially since this is the first time in a very long time that I'm spending Christmas on my own. Normally on Christmas day I'd be with my best friend and his family or working at my church, however instead this year I'm going to be across the country.

In fact I've had to move all the way from Seattle to the Washington DC area. I'm in a small little town named Leesburg about an hour outside of DC proper, and there is not a whole lot there. Normally I just try to be working, but so far it's looking like Christmas I'll be sitting around my apt all by myself. I'm on call it would be a bad move to fly anywhere because if they will need me last minute I'd be screwed!

Don't get me wrong! I love what I do, but I'm kinda stuck at the bottom of the food chain until they decide to hire more and we get more flying. Right now it just looks like I'm going to be stuck here for a while, and that's kind of hard to take. At least with some of the other companys there is flying to be done. Even if you are low on the totem pole there, they seem to all be getting more then their garantee.

Garantee in our field is the minimum that you'd at least get paid even if you don't work that much. And some people can live off that, but I can't. It is hard to live off a minimum and not able to supplement to that. I'd take up some interpreting here if I could find clients, but that is kind of hard when you know that your schedule may change on a drop of a dime. Basically I'm the coverage for those that get sick or can't work, but surprisingly enough most of those that are with us want to be working on the holidays. Originally I was scheduled to work a great trip, then that got taken away. A day later I was given another trip and I was all set and ready to work it, but just this morning when I went to check my schedule I came to find that one gone as well. The frustration of it all is that we have people that have now been sent up this way for a temporary duty assignment, abd they of course get preferential treatment for trips since they are already being paid to come up here and sit in hotels anyways.

I understand that and realize the business sense in using them since they are being paid already to be here, but it's majorly frustrating when I have to sit around having moved here for the job and not having much I can do in the way of Christmas. And there are those that have been assigned trips who'd rather be home with friends and family, but can't since they would get in trouble for refusing it. If only we could pass on trips or pick up trips on reserve...

No comments:

Post a Comment